Alford

Alford Indian restaurant fined for serving up ‘deadly’ curry

This story is over

A court has fined the owners of an Indian restaurant in Alford after they served up a “potentially deadly” curry.

Noor Mohammed, the director at Nayeema Indian, was fined £1,369 for selling a curry that contained peanuts, when a peanut-free dish had been ordered.

Boston Magistrates’ Court heard how two Trading Standards officers took samples from the restaurant to see if the food was allergen-free.

Nayeema Indian has put diners at risk.

Mark Keal, Trading Standards, said: “An unannounced officer spoke directly to Mr Mohammed and he confirmed that the Lamb Malay-Mild with Fruits was peanut-free.

“However, when the curry arrived and the officer explained what was happening, she was then informed it might have peanuts in it by a member of staff.”

Tests revealed that it contained in the region of 3% peanuts, and was “potentially harmful to consumers who are allergic.”

Mark added: “Restaurants have a duty to ensure that it is allergen-free if the customer has requested this.

“We were shocked to find that one ingredient used in preparing the meal was 100% peanut powder.

“He should have realised that there are potentially deadly consequences for customers with peanut allergies if they were served this meal.”

Spotted an error? Please notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.