Boston

‘Machete’ wielding man was released days before latest arrest

A 22-year-old man has been detained under the Mental Health Health Act in connection with a ‘machete’ incident in Boston, just days after being released under investigation for affray.

As previously reported, a man allegedly brandishing a machete was tasered and arrested after police were called to a car park on Wide Bargate in Boston at 9.38am on Wednesday, August 7. John Adams Way was closed while officers pursued the man.

The man, who is currently in custody at Boston Police Station, was later arrested on suspicion of criminal damage and possession of an offensive weapon. None of the public were injured, police said.

However, due to the serious injury sustained by the offender in the incident, police made a mandatory referral to the Independent Office of Police Conduct.

The same man was arrested for affray after an incident on Spilsby Road on Sunday, August 4. He was released under investigation after that incident and police are continuing to establish the circumstances of the offence.

Boston MP Matt Warman said on Wednesday that the incident is “deeply concerning” and he recognises “the fears it will raise amongst local residents”.

In a post on Facebook he said: “I have spoken to Bill Skelly, Chief Constable of Lincolnshire Police, and he has confirmed to me that the individual involved was a man that the police had spoken to yesterday (Tuesday).

“As this raises a number of questions, the police have referred themselves to the Independent Office for Police Conduct. I welcome this move and will do anything I can to support a thorough investigation into what led to these circumstances.

“The individual, who is now in hospital, will be subject to any necessary psychology assessments before any decision is made on charging.

“As ever, I will continue to do everything I can to ensure that our local police have the resources they need and deserve, which I know is a matter high on the agenda of the new Prime Minister.”

Fran Harrod, Neighbourhood Policing Inspector for Boston, added: “I would like to pay tribute to the officers who dealt with this call, who showed commendable bravery.

“This was a difficult incident for members of the public to witness, but I’d like to stress that officers were quickly with the male and ensured no members of the public were placed at risk from him.”

Police are keen to hear from anyone who has information that could assist with investigations. Anyone with information should contact police on 101 or via email at [email protected] quoting incident 123 of August 7.

It can also be reported through the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or online here.

Spotted an error? Please notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.