Immingham

More than 700 Immingham homes approved

More than 700 homes have been approved for the Immingham area by North East Lincolnshire Council.

Councillors examined one plan for 525 house build at Highfield Farm, off Stalingborough Road, and another for 145 homes off Brocklesby Avenue

The Stallingborough Road plans also included an 80-unit extra care facility for the elderly.

Speaking in support of the larger application planning agent Keith Webster  said: “This is clearly a strategic site, which plays an important role in delivering the council’s housing strategy.”

The development plan for Highfield Farm as submitted by the Brocklesby Estate.

Planning officers said the plan was “a very comprehensive scheme that looks after both itself as well as the surrounding area.”

He said the developer has listened to and addressed concerns over drainage, playing field locations, and adding in the facility for the care of the elderly.

Councillor David Hasthorpe called it a “well put together plan” while Councillor Henry Hudson said it was a “natural extension of Immingham”.

More than 140 people contacted the council to raise objections to the Brocklesby Avenue development  – compared to five for the Highfield Farm – to this application with regard to traffic, drainage and infrastructure.

Members of the audience at the May 29 planning committee. Photo: Daniel Jaines

Immingham Town Council objected to the 145-home development, but not the 525-home one – however, it did raise concerns over the latter’s impact on services.

Speakers against the smaller development said they felt nothing had “changed to alleviate concerns of residents.

However, council officers moved to reassure residents that conditions applied to the approval would address concerns.

Both sites are allocated under the council’s local plan which estimates that around 13,340 homes will have to be built in the borough by 2032.

North East Lincolnshire Council’s new planning committee met on May 29. Photo: Daniel Jaines

Councillor Henry Hudson praised the “awful lot of work” on the plans, especially as it was the 3rd time it had appeared before the council.

“This is an approved site in our local plan and if we try to refuse this again I can’t see us having a leg to stand on at appeal because they have worked so hard,” he said.

Councillor Ros James also had concerns, saying “hand on heart I want to refuse this because I’m not satisfied” however, she felt all the boxes had been ticked.

Council officers also addressed concerns over services, saying both applications had a series of developer contributions attached to them.

A mix of housing will be provided under both plans, including two, three and four bedroom houses and bungalows.


SUBSCRIBE TO LOCAL DEMOCRACY WEEKLY, our exclusive email newsletter with highlights from coverage every week, as well as insights and analysis from our local democracy reporters.