Louth

Louth homes plan sparks flooding fears

Residents up in arms about a planned 60-home development in Louth fear they could be subject to increased flooding and traffic.

The plans form the second phase of Cyden Homes’ Park development, off Eastfield Road.

The first phase of 45 homes was given approval in November 2016 and new roads, known as Ticklenny Drive and Cloisters Walk will form the entrance to the new build.

Residents have previously reported a number of flooding issues while the first phase was built, including flooding on Park Row, and have stated concerns the risks could increase.

Previous plans for the second phase were submitted in January, but were later withdrawn.

How the site looks from the direction of the first phase of the build.

In documents before the council, the developers say: “The [plan] constitutes sustainable development and would not lead to adverse impacts that would significantly or demonstrably outweigh the benefits.

“Further, [it] will deliver a range of social, economic and environmental benefits.

The land is allocated for housing in ELDC’s Local Plan.

Residents, however, say the development, which will total 105 homes, will result in “over-intensificaton” and increased flood risk.

Concerns also include the effect on local nature, increased traffic, the safety of a proposed attenuation pond and the possibility of historical artifacts on the land.

Plans showing how the site is allocated alongside others in ELDC’s Local Plan.

Louth Town Council has also objected to the plans on similar grounds.

Trinity ward councillor Julia Simmons said there was “a lot of concern and neighbours are very worried”.

She said: “It’s not a case that we’re ‘NIMBYs’, we understand there have to be houses, but it has to be in the right areas that are suitable and not impacting on anyone else.”

Pat Pritchett, of Park Row, moved to the area a year ago – she said she regrets doing so if the plans are approved.

“I moved here because it was quiet,” she said, but said the building work soon put a stop to that.

Mrs Pritchett, who moved from just outside Washington DC in the USA, said: “We’d wish we never moved here. We looked at a lot of houses before we bought this one and when we did it was wide open countryside with fields all the way out.”

The first phase saw opposition including a petition and numerous letters of objection submitted, however, fewer residents have contacted the council this time round, something Councillor Simmons says could be due to apathy following the initial decision.

The closing date for consultation is Tuesday, June 4.


SUBSCRIBE TO LOCAL DEMOCRACY WEEKLY, our exclusive email newsletter with highlights from coverage every week, as well as insights and analysis from our local democracy reporters.