Grantham

Lithium batteries likely cause of Grantham fire

Lithium batteries were the likely cause of a large fire which sent toxic fumes and thick black smoke into the air from a recycling business in Grantham.

As previously reported, at the height of the fire around 60-65 firefighters were at the scene at the Environcom site during the morning of Monday, March 18.

The fire is now under control. Photo: South Kesteven District Council environmental health team

The B1174 was closed in both directions and a police cordon was put in place. The road was closed for several hours after the fire which was located in machinery in the building.

An estimated 20 tonnes of plastic waste was on fire. There were no reports of any injuries.

https://twitter.com/southkesteven/status/1107583698189410304

It was reported shortly after 11.30am on Monday that the fire was under control. Fire crews stayed on site for several more hours until the fire was fully put out and everything was safe.

Chief executive officer at Environcom Cris Stephenson told BBC Radio Lincolnshire that the fire started in the “small domestic appliances processing area” at around 7am. All staff were evacuated safely.

He said: “Cause of the fire is unknown at this stage although lithium batteries could be a likely candidate for the source.”

Photo: R.Mortiss

South Kesteven District Council’s environmental health team was also at the scene as part of a multi-agency response.

The investigation is ongoing.