Scunthorpe

Man arrested over Scunthorpe Steelworks security alert

A 39-year-old man has been arrested after a security alert, rumoured to be a bomb threat, at Scunthorpe Steelworks on Thursday morning.

As previously reported, Humberside Police attended the scene on the morning of Thursday, July 26 before confirming that, after a thorough assessment, the threat was false.

The 39-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of communicating false information in connection with the security alert at British Steel in Scunthorpe and he remains in custody, police said.

On Thursday afternoon a British Steel spokesman said: “The security alert at our Scunthorpe site is over and we continue to operate as normal. Police are investigating the matter and we continue to work with them.’

A source close to the situation previously told Lincolnshire Reporter that they heard someone had phoned to say there was a bomb in the place so the facility was placed on “lock-down”, with nobody going in or out.

The source said the “police and bomb squad” were on site and found a package, but have since had the ‘all-clear’ and the site is running as normal.

British Steel did not confirm or deny reports of a bomb threat when approached by reporters.

Anyone with information in relation to this incident should contact police on 101 quoting log number 82 of July 26.