Scunthorpe

Latest on reported bomb threat at Scunthorpe Steelworks

Scunthorpe Steelworks is back up and running after a security alert, rumoured to be a bomb threat, was cleared on Thursday morning.

As previously reported, Humberside Police confirmed that they attended the scene on the morning of Thursday, July 26, and British Steel will work with them while the matter is investigated.

Humberside Police have since confirmed that after a thorough assessment the threat has been determined to be “unsubstantiated”.

A British Steel spokesman said: “The security alert at our Scunthorpe site is over and we continue to operate as normal.

“Police are investigating the matter and we continue to work with them.

“The alert did cause some disruption to traffic around the site and we apologise for any inconvenience this has caused. Traffic is now flowing freely in and out of our site.”

A source close to the situation told Lincolnshire Reporter that they heard someone had phoned to say there was a bomb in the place so the facility was placed on “lock-down”, with nobody going in or out.

The source said the “police and bomb squad” were on site and found a package, but have since had the ‘all-clear’ and the site is running as normal.

British Steel did not confirm or deny reports of a bomb threat when approached by reporters.

A spokesperson from Humberside Police said: “Officers are investigating after a call was made to British Steel by a man raising a security alert at their Scunthorpe site.

“Following a thorough assessment, in liaison with British Steel, the threat has been determined to be unsubstantiated. Enquiries are continuing today.”

Anyone with information in relation to this incident should contact police on 101 quoting log number 82 of July 26.