North East Lincolnshire residents go to the polls on May 3 to elect 16 councillors to represent them.
Ahead of election day Lincolnshire Reporter spoke to Cllr Matthew Patrick (labour), Cllr Philip Jackson (Conservative), Cllr Stephen Beasant (Liberal Democrat) and Cllr John Stockton (UKIP).
Representatives from the local parties were asked about the main issues facing the region, such as the regeneration of Grimsby, the Toll Bar roundabout and crime levels.
North East Lincolnshire Council is currently a minority-run authority with 17 Labour councillors, 15 Conservative, five Liberal Democrats, three UKIP and one independent.
There will be an election for one councillor in 15 wards across the region.
However, in the ward of Immingham, there will be two councillors elected due to the death of Cllr Mike Burton.
The minority-led Labour group will be looking to hold control of the council while the Conservatives want to regain power.
The election is expected to be close in North East Lincolnshire and run on contentious topics.
Controversial plans to remove a roundabout at the Toll Bar junction will be a hot topic on the election campaign.
Councillors voted to defer the plans back to the council’s cabinet at a recent full council meeting after a petition of more than 1,000 signatures was signed by residents.
Elsewhere, plans to regenerate Grimsby and Cleethorpes are also expected to be on the election agenda.
Recently, the council announced that £7.2million will be invested into Cleethorpes in order to retain tourists.
The plans look to improve the street scene and implement public art into the town centre.
The candidates for the 15 wards in North East Lincolnshire are as follows.
- James Barker – Green Party
- Clive Colam – UK Independence Party
- Carole Doherty – Labour Party
- Oliver Freeston – Conservative
- Stephen Beasant – Liberal Democrat
- Ronald Bull – Independent
- James Chaudry – Conservative
- Mark Gee – Labour Party
- Catherine Harper – Green Party
- Phillip Moulson – UK Independence Party
- Phil Tuplin – Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition
- Stefan Allan – Labour Party
- Barry Fisher – UK Independence Party
- Andrew Lingwood – Green Party
- Val Pow – Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition
- Callum Procter – Conservative
- Margaret Cracknell – Conservative
- Jack Rodwell – Labour
- Steve Roper – Green Party
- Chris Nichols – Labour Party
- Val O’Flynn – Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition
- Mark Smith – Conservative
- John Stockton – UK Independence Party
Humberston and New Waltham
- Stephen Harness – Conservative
- Sean Willis – Labour Party
- David Bolton – Labour Party
- Charlotte Emmerson – Green Party
- Marian Jervis – Labour Party
- Karen Swinburn – Conservative
- Stewart Swinburn – Conservative
- Willie Weir – Independent
- Julian Best – Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition
- Tony Blake – UK Independence Party
- Christina McGilligan-Fell – Liberal Democrat
- Sheldon Mill – Labour Party
- Paul Silvester – Conservative
- Jacqueline Vessey – Green Party
- Peter Bailey – Labour Party
- Beckey Brumpton – UK Independence Party
- David De Freitas – Liberal Democrat
- Lia Nici – Conservative
- Paul Batson – Conservative
- Jane Bramley – UK Independence Party
- Loyd Emmerson – Green Party
- Deborah Hill – Independent
- Tim Mickleburgh – Labour Party
- Tanya Brasted – UK Independence Party
- Andy Dickson – Green Party
- Steve Holland – Conservative
- Debbie Rodwell – Labour Party
- Nick Pettigrew – Conservative
- Karl Quibell – Labour Party
- Anna-Karina Gregersen – UK Independence Party
- Dave Mitchell – Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition
- Gemma Sheridan – Labour Party
- David Townend – Conservative
- Keith Watkin – Independent
- David Hasthorpe – Conservative
- Ian Rodwell – Labour Party
- Keiran Barlow – Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition
- Liudmila Berezina – UK Independence Party
- Matthew Brown – Labour Party
- James Cairns – Conservative