Mike Burton, who served as a borough and Immingham town councillor for more than 50 years, has died following a short illness at the age of 74.
The Labour North East Lincolnshire councillor was also chosen as the Mayor of Immingham three times and the Mayor of North East Lincolnshire Council in 2012-13.
The council paid tribute to the long-serving public figure, describing him as a “champion of the community”.
Councillor Mike Burton was elected as a member of Immingham Town Council in 1966 and served as a borough councillor since 2011.
Councillor Ray Oxby, leader of North East Lincolnshire Council, said: “Our deepest sympathy goes out to his wife, Audrey, and his family.
“Mike dedicated a large part of his life to community service, and he was a real champion of the community, working relentlessly to help local people of all ages. He will be sadly missed by us all.”
Fellow Immingham councillors, Councillor Dave Watson and Councillor Dave Bolton, said: “Mike was an active and popular resident of the community and was hugely respected and liked.
“As well as serving as a councillor, he also ran the local hardware store for many years and was well known to many people of the town.
“We are thankful for the work he undertook on behalf of the residents of Immingham over the years, and he will be missed by everyone who knew him.
“On a personal note, he was also a great friend and his passing will be felt by everyone who had the privilege of knowing him.”
Cllr Burton was a member of the following NELC Committees:
- Children and Lifelong Learning Scrutiny Panel (Co-opted Member)
- Communities Scrutiny Panel
- Economy Scrutiny Panel (substitute)
- Planning Committee (Chairman)
- Standards and Adjudication Committee (substitute)
- Audit and Governance Committee
- Licensing and Community Protection Committee
He was also a member of the following outside bodies:
- Humber Strategy Elected Members Forum
- Humberside Fire Authority
- Humber Flood Risk Management Strategy
- Humber Estuary Advisory Coastal Group
- Anglian (Northern) Regional Flood Defence Committee
- BC/DC Agents Focus Group
- Member of Local Government Association Special Interest (Coastal) Group
- Chairman of ARCH – Art Regeneration Community Heritage at the Bert Boyden Centre, Carver Road, Immingham
A by-election will be held at a later date.