Sleaford

‘The man who killed my son must go to jail’: Grieving mum urges judge to put careless driver behind bars

This story is over

A driver who caused a fatal head-on collision when he overtook a lorry and struck an oncoming motorcycle has been warned he faces jail.

Okechukwu Obike was driving along the A17 heading eastwards towards the Holdingham roundabout when he pulled out to pass the HGV.

Grace Hale, prosecuting, told Lincoln Crown Court that Obike’s Mondeo car struck the Ducati motorcycle throwing the rider Paul Stanley from his machine.

Mr Stanley, 44, had been to visit his mother and step-father and was returning to his home in the Newark area.

He died from multiple injuries he suffered as a result of the collision.

Mrs Hale said: “It happened very quickly. The motorcyclist was thrown into the air and landed further along the carriageway.

“There were no defects with the road that could have contributed to the collision and there were no defects to the Ducati or the Mondeo that could have caused or contributed to the collision.

“The defendant pulled out to overtake the lorry and did not give himself enough time to complete the manouevre. He saw the motorcycle too late.”

Obike, 35, of Wren Close, Orpington, Kent, admitted causing the death of Mr Stanley on the A17 at Windmill Hill by careless driving on June 24, 2015.

He denied a more serious charge of causing the death of Mr Stanley by dangerous driving.

A jury began hearing evidence on the dangerous driving charge but shortly after the commencement of the trial the prosecution accepted the guilty plea to causing death by careless driving and chose not to pursue the more serious charge.

Obike was granted bail and is due to be sentenced on September 1.

Recorder Paul Mann QC imposed an interim driving ban and told Obike: “I want you to understand that the matter that you have pleaded guilty to has put you at risk of an immediate custodial sentence. You should prepare yourself and your family for that.”

Mary Miller, the mother of Paul Stanley, together with her husband Terry and Mr Stanley’s partner Karen White-Smith each told the court how their lives have been turned upside down by what happened.

Mrs Miller said “On Wednesday June 24, 2015 my life and my family’s lives changed forever.

“I have gone from a happy, always smiling person to someone who feels empty except for unbearable pain.

“Paul was an excellent driver and did nothing wrong.

“The man who killed my son must go to jail. Whatever he gets will not be long enough. We have a life sentence of suffering.”

Ms White-Smith told how she and Paul planned to spend the rest of their lives together.

“He was a loving, kind, caring, very intelligent, very handsome, thoughtful and supportive man.

“My life has changed forever. We had planned how we were going to grow old together.

“This should never have happened. He was too young with so much life ahead of him.

“It wasn’t Paul’s fault. The man who drove the car will never understand the pain my family have gone through. He has never said sorry. He continues living and my man is dead. I can never forgive him.”