Woodhall Spa

Vet issues warning after labrador attacked by venomous snake

This story is over

A Woodhall Spa veterinary surgery has issued a warning to dog owners after Vinnie, a black labrador, had an “unfortunate encounter with an adder”.

Witham View Veterinary Surgery issued the warning on their Facebook page after Vinnie was bitten by an adder and needed urgent medical attention.

Although adder bites are rare, the surgery said they are most common between April and July and can potentially be very serious. 

A spokesperson for the practice posted on their page: “We have had the lovely Vinnie staying with us for the last few days, due to an unfortunate encounter with an adder.

“Thankfully adder bites are quite rare, as snakes only usually bite in self-defence. But as dogs are inquisitive they can easily provoke them.

“As adders are venomous, their bites are potentially very serious.

“Vinnie needed to be put on a drip and given medication to try and prevent his swelling from getting any worse.

“If you think your dog has been bitten, try not to panic, and don’t go near the snake. Keep your dog as quiet and as still as you can, this slows the spread of the venom and seek veterinary attention as soon as possible.”

Spotted an error? Please notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.