Thug who slashed and urinated on woman before trying to set her on fire jailed

This story is over

A thug who carried out a vicious three-hour assault on a woman by stamping on her face, hitting her with an iron, and cutting her with a knife has been jailed for life.

Christopher Magee, 31, poured bleach on the woman before trying to set her on fire, and also urinated on her during the vile attack.

Magee beat the woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, so badly that paramedics were unsure if she was male or female.

Following his arrest, Magee planned to carry out an acid attack on the victim to stop her from testifying, before plotting to set her house on fire.

Magee admitted attempted murder and conspiracy to cause grievous bodily harm and conspiracy to commit arson during the trial at Nottingham Crown Court.

He must serve a minimum of 13-and-a-half-years for the brutal attack.

Magee’s friends who conspired in the acid attack to keep his victim quiet were sentenced alongside him.

Sara Bennett, 25, of Chaddesden, Magee’s girlfriend at the time, was found guilty of conspiracy to cause grievous bodily harm and jailed for two years.

Michael Holmes (left) and Liam Curtis (right) from Grantham have both been jailed for seven years

Michael Holmes, 42, of Grantham, was found guilty of being involved in both the acid and arson attack conspiracies and was jailed for seven years.

Liam Curtis, 27, of Grantham, was found guilty of conspiracy to commit arson and jailed for seven years.

Martin Clarke, 33, of HMP Dovegate, was found guilty of conspiracy to commit arson and jailed for 10 years.

Robert Wyatt, 39, of Newark, was found guilty of conspiracy to commit arson and jailed for two-and-a-half years.

Zakree Williams, of Littleover, Derbyshire, admitted perverting the course of justice and jailed for two years, suspended for two years.

Stephen Dolan of Derby admitted possession with intent to supply class A drugs and was handed a suspended two-year jail sentence.

Detective Sergeant Steve Judge, who led the investigation, said: “Christopher Magee subjected his victim to an extreme, deliberate, sustained, degrading and brutally violent attack.

“But he did not stop there. While he was remanded in custody for that attack, he decided to try and prevent his victim from giving evidence against him – at any cost.

“Conspiring with others recruited while he was in prison, together they planned initially to carry out an acid attack, before then deciding to set fire to the home of the victim’s family.

“Fortunately, safety measures were put in place and that further, serious and deliberate attempted arson attack ultimately failed.

“I’m very happy with the sentence Magee has received, and that of his associates.

“What we must not forget is that, at the centre of this case, has been an innocent woman who very nearly lost her life.

“The bravery of the survivor and her family need commending. She stood firm and supported the prosecution regardless of the personal impact to her and her family.

“Now the case has reached its conclusion at court, hopefully she and her family will be able to move forward with their lives, knowing the man responsible has received the punishment he so richly deserves.”

Spotted an error? Please notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.