Around 9,000 people are expected to be at Market Rasen Racecourse on Boxing Day for the eagerly anticipated Lincolnshire National.
Ten horses will take part in the three-and-a-half mile contest, known as the Clugston Lincolnshire National.
With more than 70 runners in the seven races, organisers predict an exciting and competitive day’s racing.
The Rand Farm Park Boxing Day Family Funday fixture is a traditional day out for thousands of families every year.
There’s free entertainment for the youngsters – and adult tickets can be bought in advance at a discount.
More information is available on the website, where tickets are available from £9.
A guide to the races
The first race is scheduled for 12pm, with the finale at 3.30pm.
Gates open at 10am and the best advice is to get to the racecourse early.
- What to wear – Dress for the weather, warm is usually best! People move around the racecourse quite a bit, so comfortable shoes are advisable.
- Parking – General parking, with the exception of the picnic car park, is free.
- Food and drink – Visitors are welcome to bring their own picnic into the car parks or into the Lawn Enclosure. Please note food and drink is not permitted in the County and Tattersalls Enclosures. Bars, restaurants and food outlets are available across all enclosures with a variety of options to suit all tastes.
- The race programme – The programme shows the recent record of each horse running, the weight the horse will carry in the race, and the name of the jockey and trainer.
- Betting – People put their money on with the bookmakers or with the Tote. They ‘take a price’ with a bookmaker at the time when they put your money on, whereas with the Tote the bet goes into a pool, with the winnings decided after the race.
- Choosing a horse to back – Visitors can watch the horses in both the pre-parade ring, where the horses are saddled, and the parade ring itself. They can read the form – or just choose their favourite jockey or a horse whose name they like or whose rider is wearing their favourite colour. After all, it’s just a bit of fun.
- The races – Now watch the races from the grandstands and cheer the winners as they come back into the winners’ enclosure. The highlight of the racing during the afternoon is the Clugston Lincolnshire National.
- Timings – The first race is scheduled for 12pm and the finale is at 3.30pm. Gates open at 10am and the best advice is to reach the racecourse in good time.