Violent Sleaford drunk avoids jail despite headbutting and glassing woman

This story is over

A drunken customer headbutted and then glassed another woman after being told off for spilling her drink, Lincoln Crown Court was told.

Michaela Dineen had earlier been spoken to three times by other customers inside the Marquis of Granby pub in Sleaford over concerns that she was spilling her drink.

Phil Howes, prosecuting, told the court that “out of the blue” Dineen turned on another customer Natalie Spry.

“Dineen headbutted her. She then smashed a glass in her face. The blood was dripping from Ms Spry. The defendant was described as like a caged animal that had just been released.”

As a result of the incident Natalie Spry was taken to hospital by ambulance and seven stitches inserted to repair two lacerations of her face.

She is now scarred.

Howes added: “The defendant was arrested 45 minutes later in Southgate, Sleaford. She was drunk.

“She was interviewed but could not recall what happened. She said she had drunk seven or eight vodka and cokes and a glass of wine. She said she was very sorry for the whole incident.”

Dineen, 26, of George Street, Sleaford, admitted a charge of unlawful wounding arising from the incident on April 23.

She was given a 12 month jail sentence suspended for two years with 60 hours of unpaid work and a 20-day rehabilitation activity requirement.

She was also ordered to pay £300 compensation to her victim.

Recorder Peter Cooke, passing sentence, told her: “This was an appalling thing to do. You could have blinded her.”

But he said that Dineen has since shown genuine remorse and he told her he was able to avoid jailing her.

David Eager, in mitigation, said that his client had no previous convictions for violence and was regarded as a good mother to her two children.

He said Dineen works voluntarily in a charity shop and urged that she should not be given an immediate jail sentence.

Spotted an error? Please notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.