Skegness

Fourth dog dies this week after allegedly eating poison found on Skegness beach

This story is over

A fourth dog this week has reportedly been put to sleep after eating poison found on Skegness beach.

Three other dogs have been put down due to poisoning this week, which is believed to have been found on the beach at Winthorpe.

A number of warnings have been issued by Skegness Coastwatch and the RSPCA.

Police have confirmed that there has only been one direct report to the force, with an investigation into the incident closed as neither the vet nor owner could confirm it had been poison which ultimately killed the dogs.

It is believed the dogs picked up poison on Winthorpe beach. Photo: Richard Croft

It is believed the dogs picked up poison on Winthorpe beach. Photo: Richard Croft

East Lindsey District Council said they have not received any reports of poisoning but have asked anyone with any information to contact the police.

Sue Farenden, ELDC’s dog warden, said: “The council hasn’t received any reports from dog owners of poisoning on the beach at Winthorpe but has seen the media reports.

“We’d ask anyone who thinks their dog has been poisoned to report this to the police for investigation.

“As items regularly wash ashore, we always remind people to keep an eye on their dog whilst on the beach.”